Friday, February 12, 2010

Analysis On Winn-Dixie Stores

Subscribe in a reader

Although I'm waiting until they release their earnings next week, one stock I've been looking in to and have gone long on for my motley fool account is Winn-Dixie Stores Inc. (WINN), the southern grocer. I'm waiting for the earnings announcement so I can go in to more detail for my analysis rather than simply guesstimating what is going to happen. That doesn't seem prudent based on how close their earnings announcement is.

But here's a little preview of some numbers I ran off their Q1 10-Q:

As you can see, even after discounting intangibles and basically anything that you can't put your hands on, they still have a P/B of less than one. I'm not quite sure how I feel about their Property Plant and Equipment (PPE), since it appears they only own 8 stores and 1 distribution center, but I guess trading below hard assets is all I can really ask for.

If you ask me this seems very very cheap, especially since they have no long term debt, but I'll be interested to see how their Q2 earnings come out. Mean analyst estimate is a loss of $0.16, with a high estimate of -$0.09 and a low estimate of -$0.27. If they surprise on the upside it might push them past this price to tangible book ratio of one, but I think that's a risk you have to be willing to take.

No comments:

Post a Comment