Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Winn-Dixie Earnings Surprise

Subscribe in a reader

I mentioned last Friday that I was hoping to do some analysis on Winn-Dixie Stores (WINN) once they released their second quarter 10-Q. Looks like they beat analyst earnings expectations, which while not a buy signal in and of itself in my book is still a positive because it means they weren't losing money.

I'm hoping to write up some formal analysis and a recommendation on the stock either tonight or tomorrow night. I haven't looked at their 10-Q yet aside from reading the headlines, but I am slightly optimistic that their balance sheet has improved. The roughly 2.5% move up today also likely means that they're still at the P/B ratio I discussed in a recent post.

I'm also hoping to at some point dive in to the 10-Q The Pantry (PTRY) released February 2nd. My apologies for not being more on top of that. It seems that they went below analyst expectations with their loss, and I'll take a look to make sure that this stock still makes sense. Part of the way I pitched it was conditional upon them being able to turn a profit soon, and there's a certain point where your patience has to run out. It's not out of the realm of possibilities that upon further analysis I'll close my position on my motley fool profile.

In case you haven't seen it, a more formalized version of the VIX pitch I put up on my blog here got published on Seeking Alpha today. I think it turned out pretty well, so if you haven't read it yet you should take a look.


No comments:

Post a Comment